Publish Driver CPC Courses

Publish Driver CPC Training Courses: New Feature for Consortium Members

We’re excited to introduce a new feature designed to enhance the experience for our valued consortium members. You can now, schedule your Driver CPC training Courses and we will publish them on our website!

What is Driver CPC?

Driver CPC is a set of standards established to ensure that professional drivers are both competent and proficient in their roles. It is a mandatory certification for bus, coach, and lorry drivers across the EU and the UK, aimed at improving road safety and ensuring that drivers maintain high levels of skill and knowledge.

What is a Driver CPC Consortium?

A Driver CPC consortium is an association of like-minded individuals who deliver Driver CPC training under the management of one umbrella company.

By becoming a member of our consortium, you can teach Periodic Driver CPC training with all the benefits of being a fully registered training centre, operating under the management of TMconsultant.

Introducing Our New Feature – Publish your Driver CPC training courses

We are thrilled to announce that consortium members can opt in to publish their Driver CPC training courses directly on our platform. The new offering is tailored to assist consortium members in boosting their course marketing efforts. Members can effectively promote their Driver CPC training courses to reach a wider audience of potential trainees, driving enrollment.

With just a simple “yes” or “no” response on the scheduled courses form, members can choose to publish their courses and instantly increase their visibility within the Driver CPC training community.

Feel free to have a look at courses already published by consortium members here!

How do I join the TMconsultant Driver CPC Training Consortium?

At TMconsultant, we are committed to providing our consortium members with the tools they need to succeed. For more information on how to join the TMconultant consortium, just go here.

Get in touch

If you have any questions, or you would just like to discuss your options, please don’t hesitate to ask. We’re a friendly bunch, just Call 01273 457748 or alternatively send us a message. Here to share the knowledge!

Manage your operator licence

How to Manage Your Vehicle Operator Licence on-line

In today’s fast-paced transportation industry, managing your operator licence efficiently is crucial to ensure compliance. The DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) recognises the challenges faced by operators in this regard, so they developed the Manage Your Operator Licence Online platform. This self-service system simplifies the process of updating and maintaining your operator licence. In this blog, we’ll have a look at what you can do on the Manage Your Vehicle Operator Licence online system.

What can you do on the Manage Your Operator Licence Platform?

Add/Remove Vehicles on Your Licence

It is likely you will need to add or remove a vehicle to your operator licence. You can do this easily on the system, just remember to do so within 28 days of the new vehicle(s) coming into your possession.

Add or Remove a Transport Manager

When changes occur in your management team, such as adding or removing a transport manager, the Traffic Commissioner must be informed immediately. The OtC (Office of the Traffic Commissioner) usually will allow a reasonable period of time for you to find a replacement Transport Manager. The time frame is normally up to 6 months, however, in some cases, it may be extended to 9 months at the Traffic Commissioner’s discretion.

Change Your Licence Type – Major Change/Variation

You can change your licence from a restricted to a standard national licence, or from a standard national to a standard international licence for example. To do this you must apply using the platform at least nine weeks before you require the change to happen.

You don’t have to advertise a change in licence, but you will have to provide proof of competence, good repute and financial standing if you are moving from a restricted to a standard licence to a standard national or standard international licence.

The traffic commissioner publishes applications to upgrade licences in Applications and Decisions. This will mean your application will be open to objection by statutory objectors such as local authorities and the police.

The change in licence type does not take effect until the application has been granted and the varied licence issued, unless an interim authority has been given.

Increase Vehicle/Trailer Limit – Major Change/Variation

As your business flourishes, you might find the need to increase the vehicle limit on your licence. The platform allows you to request an upgrade to accommodate a larger fleet if you want to exceed the maximum number of vehicles permitted on your licence. This is also classed as a Major Variation and will need advertising together with evidence of financial standing. The fee is £275.00 and you must apply at least nine weeks before you need the extra vehicles/trailers.

Change or Add a New Operating Centre – Major Change/Variation

You may want to move your operating centre to new or larger premises or even add a new operating centre as you expand. As with a new application, the OtC will publish details of your variation application in the publication Applications and Decisions and you will need to advertise the application in a newspaper circulating in the vicinity of your new operating centre. If you are only using vehicles (or vehicle combinations) that do not exceed 3.5 tonnes you do not need to advertise the intention.

Add/Remove Directors

You must inform the Traffic Commissioner immediately if there are any changes regarding Company Directors. For example, if someone is taken on as a director, a director dies or if the business changes from sole trader to a limited company. The change could constitute a major change and a fee of £275.00 charged.

Surrender Your Licence

In some cases, operators may decide to cease their operations temporarily or permanently. The self-help system offers a simple and straightforward process to give up, or “surrender,” your operator licence. This feature helps ensure you comply with the necessary procedures when discontinuing your transportation services.

Print/Download a Replacement Licence

The Manage Your Operator Licence system provides a convenient way to get a replacement copy of your O’Licence. Whether you need a physical copy or a digital version, the platform ensures you can obtain a replacement.

N.B. You have to apply by post if you want to transfer an operating centre to another licence.

How to register for the Manage Your Vehicle Operator Licence online system

It’s easy to register for an account

Step 1: Visit the DVSA Website – and click Start now

Manage your vehicle operator licence







Step 2: Click create an account

Create an account

Step 3: Create your account

Create an account

Step 3: Check your email. You will receive 2 emails. One with a temporary password and one with to confirm your registration

Check your email

Step 4: Click ‘sign in’ from your temporary password email. This will take you to a page to create a new password

Change your password

And that’s it, you have created your account!

If you would like to know more about our Operator Licencing, services, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Here to share the knowledge!

Do I need an Operator Licence if I run a van?

Do I need an Operator Licence if I run a van?

The big question van owners are asking is, do I need an Operator Licence if I run a van? In this blog post, we will dive into the intricacies of this topic and provide you with clarity. We will explore the factors that determine whether or not you need an Operator Licence to run a van, taking into account both domestic and international operations. Join us as we navigate through the recent regulatory changes and shed light on the implications for van owners. By the end of this article, you will have a clear understanding of the Operator Licence requirements and how they may affect your van operation.

The Big Question: Do I Need an Operator Licence if I Run a Van?

Well, the answer is yes and no. Yes, if you operate abroad and no, if you only operate in the UK. The rules changed at the end of May 23 regarding operating vans in the EU. Meaning that if your operations include driving vans or cars towing trailers to transport goods for hire or reward between 2.5t and 3.5t in the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, from 21 May 2022, you will now need a Standard International goods vehicle operator licence.

Historically, you only needed an Operator Licence (O’ Licence) if you operated goods vehicles or public service vehicles over a GVW of 3.5t. This has changed, vans between 2.5t and 3.5t now need an Operator Licence, or you will be operating unlawfully and could face prosecution.

What are the new rules for vans?

The changes are contained within the Trade & Cooperation Agreement between the UK and EU and will apply to you if you’re based in England, Scotland or Wales and use:

  • Vans or other light goods vehicles (sometimes called light commercial vehicles or LGV for short)
  • Vans towing trailers
  • Cars towing trailers

You need to either:

  • Apply for a standard international goods vehicle operator licence for the first time
  • Add the vehicles to your standard international goods vehicle operator licence (if you already have one)
  • Apply to upgrade your standard national goods vehicle operator licence (if you have one) to a standard international goods vehicle operator licence
  • Apply to upgrade your restricted goods vehicle operator licence (if you have one) to a standard international goods vehicle operator licence

Do the new rules apply to me?

The new rules will apply to you if you use:

  • Vans with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) over 2,500kg (2.5 tonnes) and up to and including 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes)
  • Vans towing a trailer with a gross train weight (GTW) over 2.5 tonnes and up to and including 3.5 tonnes
  • Cars towing a trailer with a GTW over 2.5 tonnes and up to and including 3.5 tonnes

You will not need a goods vehicle operator licence if any of these apply:

  • You only use your vehicles in the UK
  • You are transporting goods not for ‘hire or reward’

Am I carrying goods for “hire and reward”?

Hire and reward means that you are carrying goods for, or on behalf of, someone else. This generally applies if you are paid to move other people’s goods. If however, you are only moving your own goods for your own purposes, this would usually not be classed as hire and reward.

Do I need Tachographs for Vehicles over 2.5 Tonnes?

Currently no, you will not need a tachograph for vehicles over 2.5t up to 3.5t. However, from 1 July 2026, tachographs will have to be installed in vehicles over 2.5 tonnes operating in the EU.

How do I apply for an operator licence?

You have two options:

Option 1 – Employ the services of a consultant

If you’re a little unsure and the whole process looks a little daunting, you can enlist the help of a consultant to assist with your application. Here at TMconsultant, we help new operators gain their Operator Licence every week. If you would like to know more about how we can help you, click here or please do just get in touch. We’re a friendly bunch and are happy to chat and provide free advice.

Option 2 – Apply directly to the Office of the Traffic Commissioner (Licensing)

You can DIY by going here. I have written a blog about how to apply for an operator’s licence, you can read that here.

Do I need a Transport Manager?

Yes, you do. To get a standard international goods vehicle operator licence when operating vans over a MAM over 2.5t in the EU, you will now need a Transport Manager (or external transport manager). This is someone who is responsible for:

  • Planning routes and scheduling delivery times
  • Managing your team of drivers and administration staff
  • Making sure drivers follow company and industry regulations
  • Arranging vehicle maintenance, MOTs and tax payments
  • Organising vehicle replacements.

You must either:

  • Apply to get an existing member of staff (including yourself) temporarily recognised as a transport manager
  • Employ someone with a Transport Manager Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification
  • Hire an external qualified transport manager.

What are my transport manager options?

You have three options:

Option 1 – Use an existing member of staff temporarily recognised as a transport manager through Grandfather rights

If you decide to get an existing member of staff temporarily recognised as a transport manager, they must have at least 10 years of experience managing fleets of vehicles before 20 August 2020.

  1. The member of staff needs to apply to be temporarily recognised as a transport manager (this is sometimes called having ‘acquired rights’). If their application is successful, they’ll be treated as having the Transport Manager CPC qualification until 21 May 2025\
  2. When you apply for your goods vehicle operator licence, you need to apply to add them as the transport manager for your licence
  3. The member of staff needs to pass the CPC qualification by 21 May 2025 to continue being a transport manager after that date
  4. When they’ve fully qualified, they’ll need to keep up a high-quality professional knowledge of transport industry rules and policies.

Option 2 – Get a member of staff qualified

This person will need to take a Transport Manager CPC qualification. This is called the International Transport Manager Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) in Road Haulage. You will need to take the international For more information, you can read a blog I wrote about how to become a transport manager here.

Option 3 – Hire an External Transport Manager (ETM)

You can hire-in an External Transport Manager. An External Transport Manager, (ETM for short), is essentially a freelance consultant Transport Manager. They’re not someone on your payroll, but they are contracted to work with you to act as your transport manager. Ensure you find an ETM with an International TM CPC qualification and of good repute. If you would like to take this option we can help find an ETM near you!

What will the ETM do?

The external transport manager is there not only to ensure you are compliant but can help reduce your fuel bill, review your current H&S policy status and develop driver training.

Your ETM will manage:

  • Operator Licensing changes and authority communication
  • Working Time Directive Compliance
  • Drivers Hours Compliance
  • Tachograph Analysis
  • Vehicle Periodic Maintenance Inspection Schedule
  • Vehicle Defect Reporting Systems
  • Driving Licence Checks
  • Daily Walk round Inspections
  • Toolbox talks/Driver CPC Training Delivery
  • Driver Reprimands/Disciplinary Hearings.

Your ETM will also:

  • Carry out an initial audit to identify any shortfalls
  • Full systems implementation – Ensure you are equipped with the requisite policies and processes
  • Carry out weekly catch-ups. This is normally remotely
  • Carry out Monthly on-site visits
  • Provide ongoing advice.

For more information about what ETMs do and how much it costs to hire an external transport manager go here.

How much does an ETM cost?

Prices start from £450.00. Check out our ETM prices here

How can I find an External Transport Manager?

Here at TMconsultant we operate an ETM finder service. All you need to do is provide us with some basic information and we’ll find an ETM near you! Either, complete this form or get in touch, we’re here to share the knowledge!

FORS standard version 5

FORS standard version 5, a simple yet comprehensive guide

FORS standard version 5 is here! This is my simple yet comprehensive guide to the main changes, all in one place.

The new FORS Standard VS5 is the fifth iteration and sets out the requirements operators must meet if they wish to become FORS accredited. The revised edition addresses the need for air quality improvements and sets out requirements to help operators mitigate against threats of terrorism. Provision is also made for a broader range of operations and vehicles, including powered two-wheelers, and new requirements for bus and coach operators.

The FORS Standard is updated every two years to reflect the continuous evolution of best practice and FORS’s aim to drive-up safety, environmental, and efficiency standards for all road transport operations.

Version 5 highlights the increasing diversity of commercial fleets and aims to make it more accessible for a broader range of vehicles to achieve accreditation. It contains a more robust commitment to raising environmental standards in operations, recognising the need for better air quality in UK cities via revised requirements and a revised training programme.

Main changes – Bronze

The main changes make FORS more accessible to more vehicles, especially growing fleets of motorcycles and other powered two-wheelers, which contribute to many deliveries on UK roads. Specific load safety requirements set out by vehicle type are included, not only for heavy goods vehicles, vans and passenger carrying vehicles (PCVs), but also powered two-wheelers as well.

PCVs are also given greater credence, with a new requirement at FORS Bronze to ensure accessibility, comfort and safety for all passengers.  The requirement must be demonstrated via a passenger safety policy, on vehicle signage and adequate access for all passengers.

A new counter terrorism requirement has been introduced, meaning operators must have a policy and supporting procedures in place at FORS Bronze, which names a Counter Terrorism Champion. Under new Bronze training requirements members must also have completed the current FORS Professional Security and Counter Terrorism eLearning module within the 24 months prior to audit.

Main changes Gold & Silver

An added emphasis on improving environmental operating standards becomes evident with a new requirement at FORS Silver for HGV and van drivers to complete the FORS Professional ‘LoCITY – Time to clean up’ eLearning module within the 24 months prior to accreditation.

In line with the progressive nature of the scheme, FORS has also introduced a requirement at Gold for drivers to have completed either the FORS Professional LoCITY Driving training course, or a FORS Approved environmental awareness course within the past five years.  This is in addition to the current requirement to have attended a Safe Urban Driving (SUD), a Van Smart (VS) or a FORS Approved work-related road safety training course, within the five years prior to accreditation.

FORS Silver also includes a commitment to tackle noise pollution – a criteria formally only mandated at FORS Gold.  Operators seeking FORS Silver accreditation must complete noise assessments at operating centres and noise sensitive locations in a bid to minimise noise pollution and its impact on local communities.

The new FORS Standard aims to minimise the probability and severity of collisions involving vulnerable road users.  FORS Silver accreditation is also fully aligned to meet both the TfL requirements on managing work-related road risk (WRRR) and the new CLOCS Standard v3, due to come into force  in January 2019.

Training requirement changes

New training requirements have been introduced across all levels of accreditation for both managers and drivers. These are different for drivers of specific vehicle types so it is best to check the training cards at Annexes 1 (for drivers) and 2 (for managers) of version 5 of the FORS Standard. Transitional provisions are in place for a number of new training requirements. In summary, for managers, and for HGV and van drivers, the new training is as follows:

There are transitional periods for a number of the new training requirements. These are as follows:

N.B Security and Counter Terrorism elearning will count against the new mandatory training requirements for Security and Counter Terrorism as set out in Annex 1 of the FORS Standard. It is now valid for 24 months from the original date undertaken. Therefore the validity will be extended on your training records from 12 months to 24 month

The safety eLearning modules from 14 January 2019 are:

Cycle Safety, Van Smart, Smart Driving and Bridge Smart (due to launch soon). These are valid for 12 months and must be renewed every year. After 14 January 2019, Security and Counter Terrorism will no longer be part of the suite of safety eLearning modules. It has become a separate mandatory eLearning module under Bronze D4 and must be undertaken within the past 24 months.

Summary (annex 5)

Have a look at all the summary of changes in annex 5 below.

The FORS Standard version 5 is now available to download on the FORS website here and becomes effective from Monday 14 January 2019 for both new and existing operators.

TMconsultant provide a complete FORS Help package providing you with all the requisite document templates and support required to pass your initial bronze audit. If you need advice regarding FORS please do just get in touch. Here to share the knowledge!


Driver CPC uploading explained

Driver CPC uploading explained

Ever wandered what ‘invalid’ or ‘processing’ means when you check your driver cpc training hours? I get many enquiries regarding issues surrounding driver CPC uploading. There is limited information provided for drivers (and trainers, to a degree) regarding this process. JAUPT do provide a Guide to Recording Driver CPC Periodic Training. However, unless you are a registered training centre, it is unlikely you will find this information easily. Hence this post! Also, as the guide is geared toward the person who will be carrying out the uploads, it therefore contains information not relevant to the driver, which I have filtered out for you below.

As the training status meanings are hot topic, I have listed them first.

What does a driver’s status mean?

Valid – Training is valid and counts towards the drivers Driver CPC entitlement
Invalid – The driver has completed more than 35 hours training in one five year cycle
Cancelled – This training has been cancelled and does not count towards the drivers Driver CPC
entitlement. Training is usually cancelled either because the driver didn’t have the correct entitlement to
take training, or because the training provider has requested the cancellation
Processing – This training has not been validated for one of the following reasons:
  • The driver didn’t have the correct Driver CPC entitlement to take periodic training – DVSA identify drivers who do not have the correct level of entitlement and inform them hours have not been added to their record. If the driver is unable to supply evidence of Driver CPC entitlement DVSA will cancel this training after a minimum period of 1 month. It is worth noting that incorrectly uploaded driver hours are monitored and frequent re-occurrences will trigger further investigation form the DVSA
  • The driver has recently completed the initial qualification tests prior to training – this training can be validated once the test passes are shown on our system
  • DVSA are currently unable to view the driver’s licence entitlements. Therefore DVSA sometimes have to contact the DVLA in order to view the driver’s licence entitlements to assess the validity of the training. If the driver is currently undergoing medical preview with the DVLA, DVSA are often unable to view vocational licence entitlement. This means DVSA are unable to assess the validity of their training until the medical review is complete.
  • Sometimes there maybe a an issue with the centres payment method and the course is awaiting payment
  • The training has been incorrectly uploaded against a GB counterpart – the driver holds a non-UK licence with a GB counterpart. Any training uploaded against a GB counterpart can’t be validated as there is no licence entitlement attached to a counterpart

What identity documents should drivers present before I conduct periodic training?

A driver must present one of the following:

  • a photocard driving licence
  • a valid passport
  • a digital tachograph card

a driver qualification card (DQC)

As above, you should make drivers aware that if they do not have the relevant vocational entitlement periodic training cannot contribute towards issue of a DQC.

A driver may also attend training if they present a non-UK driving licence issued by an EU Member State or one of the following countries: Gibraltar, Guernsey, Iceland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland.

Can drivers take more than one periodic training course in a single day?

DVSA would not recommend undertaking two courses of periodic training in one day; we consider this
an excessive amount of time for an individual to spend in training and be able to effectively retain the information. Periodic training means regular, ongoing training undertaken consistently throughout a driver’s professional career as part of a programme of continuing professional development. DVSA believe drivers will gain more from periodic training if they design a pre-planned learning programme with a definite objective in mind, ie to improve my professionalism over the next 5 year cycle.

Can somebody attend for periodic training if they don’t drive professionally and don’t have Driver CPC entitlement?

As the training provider it is up to you whether to accept attendees who don’t have Driver CPC entitlement e.g. administrative staff. If individuals attend periodic training and do not have Driver CPC entitlement you must ensure that their training will not be uploaded to the Driver CPC R&E system. You should also make them aware that their periodic training will not count towards issue of a DQC or issue them with a certificate of attendance.

Can somebody attend periodic training if they are currently suspended or disqualified from driving?

A driver can still attend for training which can be uploaded should the driver’s categories ultimately be reinstated, though suspended/disqualified drivers cannot undertake on-road periodic training. The driver should be advised that the licence entitlement may not be shown on our system so the training will not be validated unless the categories are reinstated at a later date. If the vocational categories are not reinstated with their original start dates this training may never be validated. You should make this clear to the driver before they undertake any periodic training.

What advice should be given to attendees?

Below is some advice that you may wish to provide to drivers attending periodic training if it is relevant to them:

A DQC is automatically issued to UK photocard licence holders as soon as 35 hours of periodic training have been uploaded to the driver’s record. This should be received within 20 days of completing the final training. If it is not received after this time the driver should contact the DVSA (GB licences) or DVA (NI licences).

A DQC can only be issued to the licence address currently held by DVLA at the time when it is triggered; it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that their address is up to date with the DVLA before all 35 hours of training are completed. If the DQC is sent to a previous licence address the driver will have to pay £25 for another card to be issued. If the non-receipt of a DQC is not reported to the DVSA/DVA within 3 months, the driver will need to pay £25 for another card to be issued, regardless of the circumstances.

If the driver holds a paper driving licence in order for a DQC to be issued they will need to exchange this for a photocard licence.

Periodic training should be uploaded to the driver’s records directly, by the training provider, within 5 working days. It is the driver’s responsibility to monitor their own hours on the Driver CPC Online Driver Enquiry (ODE) service at If the driver has already completed 35 hours of training within their current 5 year cycle any further training taken and uploaded is invalid. Northern Irish drivers are currently unable to use ODE so they should contact the DVA to check their recorded periodic training hours.

Periodic training expires after 5 years; if all 35 hours are not completed within 5 years of the earliest training date, those hours which fall out of the rolling five-year period will no longer count towards the issue of any subsequent DQC.

If the driver holds a non-UK driving licence and wishes to obtain a UK DQC they will need to either: Exchange to a UK driving licence, and ask you, as their training provider, to upload the training retrospectively Or, if they want to retain their foreign licence, they will need to apply for their DQC via a DQC1 application form on completion of 35 hours training.

If a driver presents for training with a GB driving licence and a non-UK DQC they should be advised to send their DQC to the DVSA for exchange.

If a driver presents for training with a NI driving licence and a non-UK DQC they
should be advised to send their DQC to the DVA for exchange, enabling the periodic training hours to be validated upon upload.

Online Driver Enquiry (ODE)

Periodic training centres should encourage drivers to register for the ODE service which can be
When a driver has accessed the ODE service to check how many periodic training hours they have accrued
they can generate a temporary password, valid for 21 days, to pass to a 3
rd party to allow access to their periodic training details.
The ODE facility enables drivers to check the amount of periodic training recorded for them. Drivers are
advised to check ODE after five working days of completing periodic training to ensure that it has been
correctly uploaded by their training provider.
This facility can only be used by drivers with a full British driving licence. A driver can only register to use this service when periodic training has been uploaded for them.
The first time a driver uses the system they must click on ‘Register (drivers only)’ which can be found on the bottom left of the screen. The driver will then need to enter their driving licence number, postcode and fill in the captcha code.
A message will then appear informing the driver that a password has been posted out to their address which they will receive within 10 days. The registration password letter will be dispatched to the address currently held by the DVLA.
Once the driver has a password they can select ‘Start now’ which will bring up the login screen. They will then be prompted to enter their driving licence number and password, and to fill in a code. This service is available 24 hours a day, every day.
If they have any problems using this service they can contact DVSA’s customer support team on 0300 200 1122. This line is open Monday to Friday 8.00am to 12.00pm.
Northern Ireland licence holders must contact the DVA to check their hours if they want written confirmation. ODE is not available to NI licence holders as the licensing authority (DVA) is not linked to this system.

Recording Driver CPC Periodic Training

To record a driver’s training hours on DVSA’s R&E system drivers must provide their driving licence number. Please note it remains the trainer’s responsibility to ensure that the driver genuinely holds the driving licence number presented on the day; each approved training body should have its own procedures in place to guarantee this.

You must upload the training records to the CPC R&E system within five working days of the course completion date; drivers cannot have training uploaded twice for the same date. The CPC R&E (Recording & Evidencing) system is the central training record database for UK driving licence holders and is managed by DVSA.

Training must be uploaded promptly and accurately to prevent any delay in the driver receiving their DQC. As all professional bus, coach and lorry drivers must carry their DQC with them at all times when they are working any delay can have a serious impact.

You must keep full, accurate records of all periodic training conducted for audit purposes. All information should be retained securely in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.

We consider it best practice for centres to regularly review uploads using the ‘View training centre history’ facility to ensure all drivers have been uploaded correctly.

You should not upload periodic training until the driver has completed the full course; if the driver had to leave early the upload would have to be cancelled after the event. Only those drivers who complete the course in its entirety can be uploaded

If you have any difficulties with the CPC R&E system, please contact the CPC R&E section at the DVSA.

Recording Periodic Training for Non-UK Licence Holders

When non-UK licence holders attend periodic training in the UK you are required to complete the ‘Non-UK Licence Upload Template’. This can be found on You must complete one template per course attended. This template should be e-mailed to within five working days of the course completion date.

On receipt of the e-mail a member of staff will call you to take the upload fee via credit/debit card; normal upload fees apply. You must make sure you include a contact name, email address and preferred contact number, and ensure that your named contact has access to
all details of the card necessary for payment.

DVSA cannot take payment for these uploads via prefunded account and the training cannot be viewed using the online training centre history. You should maintain your own centre’s records of periodic training undertaken by non-UK driving licence holders in line with your normal procedures. These records will be subject to the usual audits.

On completion of 35 hours training the driver will need to apply for a DQC using a DQC1 application form if they want to retain their foreign licence. If they decide to exchange to a UK driving licence, they may contact you at a later date to upload this training retrospectively. You must contact the DVSA to claim back your original upload fee and report the late upload of the training to the CPC R&E system.

TMconsultant provide opportunities to deliver periodic driver CPC training. If you would like to learn more about how to become a driver cpc trainer/a member of the consortium or have any questions, please do just get in touch!



Compliance Auditor Job Opportunities

Compliance Auditor Job Opportunities

Here at TMconsultant we can offer like-minded professionals with freelance compliance auditor job opportunities to help us assist our clients throughout the UK. If you are a qualified or experienced compliance auditor and you are either looking for compliance auditing work we can help.

How does it work?

Once you have completed the application, we will add you to the compliance auditor database. Should a client in your area get in touch, we will simply make the introduction. We don't get involved with payments between you and the client.

How much will I earn?

We charge £700 per audit and take a 25% commission.

Can I get compliance auditing work for the DVSA earned recognition scheme?

Yes, but you must be a DVSA earned recognition scheme authorised audit provider. You can learn about how to become a DVSA earned recognition scheme authorised audit provider here.

Have you thought about teaching Driver CPC?

TMconsultant also offers opportunities for compliance auditors to teach Driver CPC. By becoming one of our consortium members you can teach Periodic Driver CPC training, with all the benefits of being a fully registered training centre with JAUPT, operating under the umbrella of TMconsultant. For more information go here. Alternatively please do get in touch. Here to share the knowledge!

operator licence

How to apply for an Operator Licence

(2018 revised post). I often get asked “How do I apply for an operator licence” and questions relating to the application process. This is mainly because it can seem like a daunting prospect as there are many detailed aspects to the process, which will need thoughtful consideration. There are many pitfalls and if you don’t get it right first time, could delay the granting of the licence or worse, the application could be rejected. It’s also worth noting (nearly) all applications must now be carried out online, with very few exceptions. As information prior to application is now almost nonexistent, here is my helpful guide on how to apply for an operator licence and (to hopefully) speed up the process for you.

Step 1. Get it together, be prepared

Ensure you have all the requisite information/documentation required before you start the application. For an overview of the vehicle operator licensing system and to ensure you are applying for the correct licence, you can view/download a copy of the GV74 guide here. This is dated 2011 and makes references to ‘vosa’. Don’t be put off as the information is still relevant.

Specifically you will need:

  • Forms/Information
    • Main application (old GV79 form)
    • Advertisement (old GV81 form)
    • Transport Manager (old TM1 form)
    • Current financial levels – See below but ensure you view the online guidance as this is where most applications can fail
    • Scale of fees – so you know how much to pay
    • Signed maintenance contract
    • Supplementary environmental information.
  • Guidance notes – All guidance (old GV79G, old TM1G) is now online see Step 2
  • Contact Information – This is the main person dealing with the application. They must be available to be contacted during the weeks after the application has been submitted
  • Contact address – This is the address used for correspondence. It can not be a PO Box or third-party address and must be an address in Great Britain
  • Establishment address – This is the address in which the business keeps its core business documents, specifically relating to the operator licence. This can be the same as the contact address
  • Company information – What is your trade and are you a Limited Company, Sole Trader, LLP, partnership, sole trader etc. You will need to provide company information as it appears on the Companies House website. You will also need to provide names and date of birth of all Company Directors
  • Type of licence – Do you require a Standard, Standard International or a Restricted Licence? Click here for more information on types of licence
  • Transport Manager – If you are applying for a standard or standard international operator licence, you will need to employ the services of either a full-time or external transport manager to demonstrate professional competence. The old TM1 form is now part of the online process. You will need the TM1 form and guidance notes (included in the online version) and your TM’s original CPC certificate. Restricted licence holders do not need to employ the services of a transport manager. However, I can not stress the importance of ensuring you do at least have access to professional advice and or consider employing the services of a professional consultant. It is worth noting that where compliance is concerned, restricted licence holders are subject to exactly the same legislation as standard licence holders. If you in need of a transport manager, do get in touch as we can help you find one.
  • Vehicles – How many vehicles and trailers are you going to use? If you’re planning to expand the business in the not-to-distant future, it may be worth adding in a margin. You’ll also need the details of your vehicles if you know them. If you’re hiring/leasing for more than one month you will still need to provide the vehicle(s) details, if you have them
  • Safety inspections – You’ll need to state the maximum number of weeks between safety inspections, and details of who will be carrying out the inspections. There are a number of factors to consider here. What will the annual mileage be, what kind of work will the vehicles be subjected to. If you’re unsure get advice. You’ll need to get a signed contract between you and your supplier if you are out sourcing your maintenance
  • Operating centre details – This is where your vehicles and trailers will normally be kept. You must ensure that you have enough off-street parking spaces at your operating centre(s) for all of your vehicles and trailers. You will need to state whether the premises is owned by you, leased or rented. If rented or leased you’ll need to get a letter of permission from the landlord
  • Advertisement – You will need to advertise your intentions via a local paper. Make sure you use the correct format and wording. This will be at your expense, usually around £300 to £450
  • Financial evidence – You need to show the traffic commissioner that you have sufficient financial resources to maintain your vehicles and run your business. Make sure you provide original evidence of financial documentation. Note the rates change every January! This is very detailed by nature so familiar yourself with the guidance to ensure you get this right first time
  • Previous licences – Gather information relating to anyone named on the application (including partners, directors and transport managers) who:
    • Currently or have previously held a goods or public service vehicle operator’s licence in any traffic area
    • Has had a licence refused, revoked, suspended or curtailed in the EU
    • Have attended a Public Inquiry before a traffic commissioner
    • Have been disqualified from holding or obtaining an operators licence by any traffic commissioner
    • Within the last twelve months, have you, your company or organisation or your partners or directors purchased the assets or shareholding of any company that, to your knowledge, currently holds or has previously held an operator’s licence in any traffic area
  • Convictions – Get information and background details on anyone named or has any connection with the application who has been convicted of any relevant offence. So that’s partners, directors, transport managers, any company named on the application, parent company if you are a limited company or any employees or agents
  • Payment information – You can pay by card online or by cheque/postal order and card via the paper version. You’ll need the signature of who the person paying. For current rates, you will need to either request them from the central licensing office or start the online application.

Step 2. Apply for your operator licence

It is now only possible to apply for your operator licence online. However, under certain circumstances, it is possible to apply using the old paper version. That is if you don’t own a computer and or you are unable to use a computer. If you do want to apply using the paper version make sure you use the most up-to-date versions of the GV79, GV81 and TM1 forms. The only way to do this is to call the central licensing office (DVSA) on 0300 123 9000 and request the requisite documentation.

To apply online go to the website here and follow the instructions. It’s actually very intuitive and easy to use. It’s in pretty much the same format as the old GV79 form with all the same criteria, just online. You can pay the fees and upload all the requisite documentation, all from the comfort of your computer. Signatures are still required, the difference being it will be an ‘e’ signature. You will need to register with GOV.UK Verify first to be able to complete this part of the application.

Step 3. Complete the operator licence application

For the online application, you’ll need to register with the Government Gateway. You’ll also need to register with Verify which is a way to prove who you are online for online signatures. Make sure you have all the requisite documents beforehand, see Step 1. Once you have completed the form, there will be an online checklist and paper applications will be included on the GV79.

Check list

  • You have completed all applicable questions on the form
  • You have checked that the declaration is signed and dated by an authorised person
  • You have provided the whole page of the newspaper for each advertisement placed. The date and the full title of the newspaper are shown on the page holding my advertisement
  • You have provided original financial evidence. You understand that photocopies are not acceptable
  • You have enclosed a cheque or provided payment details to cover the application fee and you understand that this fee will not be returned, even if the application is withdrawn or refused.

All applicants for either a Standard National or International operator licence must supply the following information.

  • Original Certificate(s) of Professional Competence in Road Haulage Operations or evidence of qualification(s) giving exemption, for all Transport Managers listed on the application
  • Completed and signed the online TM1 form for all Transport Managers listed on my application. You may need to supply the following information depending on your answers some of the questions.

Depending on your answers to these questions further information may be required for some applicants.

  • You answered stating that an external contractor would carry out the safety inspections for the licence and you have enclosed a copy of the maintenance contract with that contractor
  • You answered ‘Yes’ to part regarding insolvency and have enclosed the relevant documentary evidence of the relevant insolvency history
  • You answered ‘Yes’ regarding convictions and have enclosed full details of the background circumstances of all convictions declared.

Step 4. Undertakings and Declaration

You will need to read and digest the operator licence undertakings. Once understood you can sign the declaration. This must be either the owner, partner or director. As mentioned for the online system, you’ll need to prove who you are via the Verify service as well.

I have provided these below so you have a prior understanding of an operators’ responsibilities.

Operator Licence Undertakings

I understand that by signing the application I am accepting the undertakings below; that they will be recorded on the licence; that failure to comply with the conditions or undertakings recorded on the licence may result in the licence being revoked, suspended or curtailed; and that failure to comply with these conditions is also a criminal offence.

  • The laws relating to the driving and operation of vehicles used under this licence are observed
  • The rules on drivers’ hours and tachographs are observed, proper records are kept and that these are made available on request
  • Vehicles and trailers are not overloaded
  • Vehicles operate within speed limits
  • Vehicles and trailers, including hired vehicles and trailers, are kept in a fit and serviceable condition
  • Drivers report promptly any defects or symptoms of defects that could prevent the safe operation of vehicles and/or trailers, and that any defects are recorded in writing
  • Records are kept (for 15 months) of all driver reports which record defects, all safety inspections, routine maintenance and repairs to vehicles, and that these are made available on request
  • In respect of each operating centre specified, that the number of vehicles and the number of trailers kept there will not exceed the maximum numbers authorised at each operating centre (which will be noted on the licence)
  • An unauthorised operating centre is not used in any traffic area
    Furthermore, I will notify the traffic commissioner of any convictions against myself, or the company, business partner(s), the company directors, nominated transport manager(s) named in this application, or employees or agents of the applicant for this licence and, if the licence is issued, convictions against the licence holder or employees or agents of the licence holder
  • I will ensure that the traffic commissioner is notified within 28 days of any other changes, for example a change to the proposed maintenance arrangements; a change in the financial status of the licence holder (e.g. if placed in liquidation or receivership), or a change to Limited Company status or partnership, that might affect the licence, if issued.

Step 5. Get it checked

I can not stress the importance of getting a second set of eyes to check over your application for an operator licence. The devil is in the detail and you simply can’t afford to leave anything out. This could be a colleague who understands transport or if it’s just you, you could use the services of a professional consultant.

Step 7. Interim or not

It is possible to apply for an interim licence. This means you can operate in the interim while your application is in process. However, it is worth noting that your application will need to essentially be ‘pre approved’ for the interim to be granted. So, if there are any complications or question marks regarding the main application, it is unlikely an interim licence will be granted.

Step 6. Apply (send)

For the online system, once you have completed the above steps, just click to send. For the paper version, collate all your documents and importantly do make sure you send your operator licence application via ‘signed for’ post or special delivery.

Remember, if you do not send all the information needed it will lead to a delay in the granting of the licence, or the application could even be refused.

Top tips

  • Make sure your financial evidence is in the name of the applicant or licence holder
  • Provide original documents with your application
  • If you’ve only just opened your account, get an opening statement from the bank showing the required level of money for your licence
  • Make sure you have enough surplus finances to support the number of vehicles you have applied for
Operating Centre and Maintenance
  • If you don’t own the site, get written permission from the person who does
  • Make sure your advert is published in a newspaper that can be purchased in the area where your operating centre is located
  • Check the advert wording is correct before sending it off to the newspaper
  • Make sure your advert is placed in the newspaper within the required timescale
  • If maintenance isn’t in house, then complete a formal contract signed by you and the contractor
Transport Manager
  • Make sure your transport manager’s original CPC is provided with your operator licence application. It will be returned
  • Complete the TM1 form with your transport manager
  • If your transport manager will be specified on more than one licence, set out how they will meet all their responsibilities in a separate letter. This will need to include:
    • Days and intended time spent visiting each operating centre
    • How they will travel
    • Addresses and distance to travel
    • Duties to be carried out
    • Detail any other work including how much time is spent on said work
    • If there is a TM assistant carrying out day to day duties. How the duties are distributed. If the assistant is qualified, make sure you sent the original version of their TM CPC certificate. This will be returned.
Previous history
  • Tell the Traffic Commissioner about any operator licences you’ve previously held or been involved in
  • Make sure you disclose any adverse financial history of other businesses you’ve owned (not just transport)
  • Tell the Traffic Commissioner about any convictions and penalties for you or the business

Main reasons for delays and rejections

  • Forms not being completed in full (including TM1 from for standard applications)
  • Incorrect information on forms
  • Incomplete documentation
  • Financial standing not being met
  • Maintenance contracts not being submitted
  • Not submitting further information relating the TMs other work
  • Not declaring any insolvency or conviction history. They will check!

In conclusion

In conclusion, make sure you have all the required information and you have the correct information ready for your application of your operating licence prior to your application. Make sure you have the correct types of documentation, be methodical and get it checked!

For further reading and information, I have complied the definitive list of .gov and DVSA downloadable guides and forms.

Need a Transport Manager or an External Transport Manager?

Here at TMconsultant we hold a database of transport managers covering the whole of the UK. So if you’re in need of a transport manager, simply complete the employers application form. We also provide all the requisite policy manuals, forms, and tools to get a new operator up and running which you can find in our shop. Alternatively just get in touch! Here to share the knowledge!


Operator License Application

Operator Licence Application Help

Navigate the licensing process effortlessly with our expert Operator Licence Application Help service

At TMconsultant we undertake your new operator licence application on your behalf before sending your application to the Office of the Traffic Commissioner. We can also help with licence variations and changes current operator licence.

Our expert team is well-versed in both the online operator licence application process and the traditional paper/post system. Regardless of the chosen method, our primary objective is to ensure the thoroughness and accuracy of your application. We provide comprehensive support throughout the entire process, including completing the application form, organising all supporting documents, conducting thorough proofreading, submitting the application and managing correspondence on your behalf.

Do I need an Operator Licence?

If you intend to operate vehicles over 3,500 kg gross vehicle in weight (GVW) in the UK, or you intend to operate vans with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) over 2,500kg (2.5 tonnes) and up to and including 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes) in the UK and EU you will need an operator licence.

For vehicles that will be used to carry goods on public roads for trade or business purposes, operators will need one of three types of operator licence. This includes short-term rental vehicles hired for as little as one day.

What type of Operator Licences are there?

Standard national licence

This licence means you can carry:

  • Your own goods in the UK and internationally
  • Other people’s goods in the UK

You can also take loaded trailers to or from ports within the UK as part of an international journey, as long as your vehicles do not leave the country.

Standard international licence

This licence means you can carry your own goods, and other people’s goods, both in the UK and on international journeys.

After you get a standard international licence, you can also request the issue of a UK Licence for the Community. A UK Licence for the Community allows:

  • Trips between all EU countries
  • Transit traffic through EU countries
  • Cabotage (a journey entirely within one EU country)

Restricted licence

This licence allows you to carry your own goods, but not other people’s goods.

Your licence will continue to be valid as long as you pay your continuation fee every 5 years and operate within the terms of your licence. You’ll be contacted every 5 years to make sure that your licence shows the correct information.

Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you have any questions about vehicle licences.

Standard (International) for Light Goods Vehicles

Permits businesses who use light goods vehicles between 2.5 and 3.5 tonnes to carry goods for hire or reward within the European Union. If you are unsure about whether you need an operator licence to run a van, you can read our blog here.

Do I need a Transport Manager?

For Standard National or International Operators License applications, it is necessary to designate a Transport Manager as an integral part of your operator application. If you haven't yet appointed a Transport Manager or are uncertain about the specific requirements, we are here to offer guidance. Our team can provide comprehensive information on the necessary criteria and assist you in appointing a Transport Manager through our dedicated Transport Manager Finder service. Feel free to reach out to us for the assistance you need.

How much does it cost for TMconsultant to help?

Our services come with a straightforward pricing structure. For new Operator Licence applications or major changes, we offer a flat fee of £375.00 + VAT. Additionally, we have a special offer where you can enjoy a 20% reduction in the price of our comprehensive Compliance Pack. This pack includes policies & procedures, providing comprehensive resources, tools and guidance to ensure your compliance with regulatory requirements.

Also, when applying for a goods vehicle operator’s licence, you will need to pay additional government fees including:

  • A one-off fee payable for new applications or major changes - £257.00
  • A fee for the issue of a licence - £401.00
  • A fee for the issue of an interim licence (if applicable) - £68.00
  • A continuation fee every 5 years to keep your licence active - £401.00

What else do I need?

  • You will need an operating centre. Somewhere to park your vehicle(s) overnight
  • A correspondence address if different from your operating centre address
  • An advert in your local paper to inform the area you are applying for an operating licence. We will help you with this, however, there will be a cost of around £200 payable to the publication
  • Enough money you can get ready access to. Please see the current rates below for financial standing

How long will it take to get my operator licence?

The Operator Licencing process typically takes approximately nine weeks. However, if you're in a hurry to commence operations, it may be advisable to consider applying for an interim licence. An interim licence serves as a temporary solution to facilitate your operations during the application process. Rest assured, we are here to assist you throughout this process as well. It's important to note that the speed at which an interim licence is granted depends on the completeness and accuracy of the main application. Therefore, ensuring that your main application is comprehensive and error-free is crucial for expediting the interim licence approval process.

What we will do for you!

  • Give you advice on the type of Licence required
  • Completion of the necessary GV79 application form either via the online or paper/post version and interim applications
  • Completion and advice regarding the TM1 form if required (Standard and International Licenses)
  • Provision of the necessary contract for external transport managers (if you need to appoint a transport manager, we can help click here for details).
  • Preparation of maintenance agreement
  • Preparation of operating centre usage consent letter (if using a third-party premise)
  • Provision of the correct newspaper article with correctly worded public notice
  • Proofreading/checking all required documentation
  • Liaison with the Traffic Commissioners Office during the application process
  • After-sales advice and support.

What are the current rates for financial standing?

As of 1st January 2020, the rates for a Standard Licence application are:

First Vehicle£8,000
Additional vehicles£4,450

For a Restricted application, they are:

First Vehicle£3,100
Additional vehicles£1,700

Why is financial standing important to my application?

You will be required to show evidence that you have the required funds within your business to cover maintenance and any unforeseen costs that may arise whilst running your fleet of vehicles. This money can be shown as an average balance in your bank account over several months, savings or an agreed overdraft facility.

Why use us?

One of the major causes of delays in the granting of applications is errors in the application itself, incorrect submission of supporting documents, or issues with the Transport Manager application. By utilising our services, we proactively address these concerns prior to submission, ensuring a smooth and seamless application process. Your application will undergo meticulous scrutiny, minimising the chances of any complications or setbacks. Our primary goal is to make your Operator Licence application hassle-free, allowing you to concentrate on the core aspects of running your business.

Important information

Please be advised that not disclosing convictions, bankruptcies, directorships of companies in liquidation, administration, or receivership, as well as any past or present involvement with an Operator License, may impact the decision regarding license approval. Failure to provide this information or any discovery during the application process may absolve TMconsultant of responsibility for a denied application or if the application is subjected to a public inquiry. Any subsequent inquiries or discoveries stemming from the initial assessment are also subject to this disclaimer.

We will support with both initial and secondary requests from the OtC. However, any inquiries pertaining to a preliminary hearing or public inquiry beyond the second request for evidence are not within our contractual obligations. We provide application assistance services only and do not provide legal advice. The client assumes full responsibility for all information submitted to the OtC.

Get Started

Ready to get started? Just complete the form and one of our consultants will get back to you shortly.

Contact Us

If you would like to discuss your options regarding Operator Licence Applications, don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help you navigate the complexities of regulatory compliance, minimise risks, and ensure the ongoing success of your business. However, if you're ready to go ahead, just complete the form and one of our consultants will get back to you shortly.

Please complete the form below and one of our consultants will get back to you shortly.

Apply & manage your vehicle operator licence online!

So the office of the Traffic Commissioner and the DVSA has finally caught up with the 21 century and it is now possible to apply & manage your vehicle operator licence online!

For the first time, online applications for vehicle operator licences can now use the shiny new online system, replacing the Operator Self Service System.

Mr Kevin Rooney, Traffic Commissioner for the west of England and for the northeast of England stated that “We wanted to change the system because we recognise that the old system isn’t very user friendly, we want to encourage operators to do things digitally and to transact digitally both with government and with us”.

Main addition

The main addition to the new system is a service allowing new operators to apply for a licence online. Existing licences can still manage their licence by adding more vehicles, applying to increase vehicle limits and adding a transport manager, so no change there. Existing users of the Operator Self-Service System can log in to the new service using the same username and password. For more information, and to access the new service, visit the .gov website. To apply go here.

If you would like more information about Managing your Operator Licence, or our Operator Licencing, services, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Here to share the knowledge!

Since the launch of the Manage Your Operator Licence, I have written a new updated post. You can view that post here.