Operator License Application

Operator Licence Application Help

Navigate the licensing process effortlessly with our expert Operator Licence Application Help service

At TMconsultant we undertake your new operator licence application on your behalf before sending your application to the Office of the Traffic Commissioner. We can also help with licence variations and changes current operator licence.

Our expert team is well-versed in both the online operator licence application process and the traditional paper/post system. Regardless of the chosen method, our primary objective is to ensure the thoroughness and accuracy of your application. We provide comprehensive support throughout the entire process, including completing the application form, organising all supporting documents, conducting thorough proofreading, submitting the application and managing correspondence on your behalf.

Do I need an Operator Licence?

If you intend to operate vehicles over 3,500 kg gross vehicle in weight (GVW) in the UK, or you intend to operate vans with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) over 2,500kg (2.5 tonnes) and up to and including 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes) in the UK and EU you will need an operator licence.

For vehicles that will be used to carry goods on public roads for trade or business purposes, operators will need one of three types of operator licence. This includes short-term rental vehicles hired for as little as one day.

What type of Operator Licences are there?

Standard national licence

This licence means you can carry:

  • Your own goods in the UK and internationally
  • Other people’s goods in the UK

You can also take loaded trailers to or from ports within the UK as part of an international journey, as long as your vehicles do not leave the country.

Standard international licence

This licence means you can carry your own goods, and other people’s goods, both in the UK and on international journeys.

After you get a standard international licence, you can also request the issue of a UK Licence for the Community. A UK Licence for the Community allows:

  • Trips between all EU countries
  • Transit traffic through EU countries
  • Cabotage (a journey entirely within one EU country)

Restricted licence

This licence allows you to carry your own goods, but not other people’s goods.

Your licence will continue to be valid as long as you pay your continuation fee every 5 years and operate within the terms of your licence. You’ll be contacted every 5 years to make sure that your licence shows the correct information.

Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you have any questions about vehicle licences.

Standard (International) for Light Goods Vehicles

Permits businesses who use light goods vehicles between 2.5 and 3.5 tonnes to carry goods for hire or reward within the European Union. If you are unsure about whether you need an operator licence to run a van, you can read our blog here.

Do I need a Transport Manager?

For Standard National or International Operators License applications, it is necessary to designate a Transport Manager as an integral part of your operator application. If you haven't yet appointed a Transport Manager or are uncertain about the specific requirements, we are here to offer guidance. Our team can provide comprehensive information on the necessary criteria and assist you in appointing a Transport Manager through our dedicated Transport Manager Finder service. Feel free to reach out to us for the assistance you need.

How much does it cost for TMconsultant to help?

Our services come with a straightforward pricing structure. For new Operator Licence applications or major changes, we offer a flat fee of £375.00 + VAT. Additionally, we have a special offer where you can enjoy a 20% reduction in the price of our comprehensive Compliance Pack. This pack includes policies & procedures, providing comprehensive resources, tools and guidance to ensure your compliance with regulatory requirements.

Also, when applying for a goods vehicle operator’s licence, you will need to pay additional government fees including:

  • A one-off fee payable for new applications or major changes - £257.00
  • A fee for the issue of a licence - £401.00
  • A fee for the issue of an interim licence (if applicable) - £68.00
  • A continuation fee every 5 years to keep your licence active - £401.00

What else do I need?

  • You will need an operating centre. Somewhere to park your vehicle(s) overnight
  • A correspondence address if different from your operating centre address
  • An advert in your local paper to inform the area you are applying for an operating licence. We will help you with this, however, there will be a cost of around £200 payable to the publication
  • Enough money you can get ready access to. Please see the current rates below for financial standing

How long will it take to get my operator licence?

The Operator Licencing process typically takes approximately nine weeks. However, if you're in a hurry to commence operations, it may be advisable to consider applying for an interim licence. An interim licence serves as a temporary solution to facilitate your operations during the application process. Rest assured, we are here to assist you throughout this process as well. It's important to note that the speed at which an interim licence is granted depends on the completeness and accuracy of the main application. Therefore, ensuring that your main application is comprehensive and error-free is crucial for expediting the interim licence approval process.

What we will do for you!

  • Give you advice on the type of Licence required
  • Completion of the necessary GV79 application form either via the online or paper/post version and interim applications
  • Completion and advice regarding the TM1 form if required (Standard and International Licenses)
  • Provision of the necessary contract for external transport managers (if you need to appoint a transport manager, we can help click here for details).
  • Preparation of maintenance agreement
  • Preparation of operating centre usage consent letter (if using a third-party premise)
  • Provision of the correct newspaper article with correctly worded public notice
  • Proofreading/checking all required documentation
  • Liaison with the Traffic Commissioners Office during the application process
  • After-sales advice and support.

What are the current rates for financial standing?

As of 1st January 2020, the rates for a Standard Licence application are:

First Vehicle£8,000
Additional vehicles£4,450

For a Restricted application, they are:

First Vehicle£3,100
Additional vehicles£1,700

Why is financial standing important to my application?

You will be required to show evidence that you have the required funds within your business to cover maintenance and any unforeseen costs that may arise whilst running your fleet of vehicles. This money can be shown as an average balance in your bank account over several months, savings or an agreed overdraft facility.

Why use us?

One of the major causes of delays in the granting of applications is errors in the application itself, incorrect submission of supporting documents, or issues with the Transport Manager application. By utilising our services, we proactively address these concerns prior to submission, ensuring a smooth and seamless application process. Your application will undergo meticulous scrutiny, minimising the chances of any complications or setbacks. Our primary goal is to make your Operator Licence application hassle-free, allowing you to concentrate on the core aspects of running your business.

Important information

Please be advised that not disclosing convictions, bankruptcies, directorships of companies in liquidation, administration, or receivership, as well as any past or present involvement with an Operator License, may impact the decision regarding license approval. Failure to provide this information or any discovery during the application process may absolve TMconsultant of responsibility for a denied application or if the application is subjected to a public inquiry. Any subsequent inquiries or discoveries stemming from the initial assessment are also subject to this disclaimer.

We will support with both initial and secondary requests from the OtC. However, any inquiries pertaining to a preliminary hearing or public inquiry beyond the second request for evidence are not within our contractual obligations. We provide application assistance services only and do not provide legal advice. The client assumes full responsibility for all information submitted to the OtC.

Get Started

Ready to get started? Just complete the form and one of our consultants will get back to you shortly.

Contact Us

If you would like to discuss your options regarding Operator Licence Applications, don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help you navigate the complexities of regulatory compliance, minimise risks, and ensure the ongoing success of your business. However, if you're ready to go ahead, just complete the form and one of our consultants will get back to you shortly.

Please complete the form below and one of our consultants will get back to you shortly.